Thursday, September 1, 2011

Gained. So, Now a 30 Day Challenge.

So, I gained this week. 1 lb. to be exact. Kinda stinks, but I knew it was coming. I mean, first of all, I ate my way through a hurricane. And then, last night, dinner was on Mongo. If you are in construction or have people in construction, you know what Mongo is. You gather up scraps and pieces of this and that and cash it in to be recycled. Apparently the cash back for copper is through the roof, so when my husband got his share, he came home and said "Let's order out tonight!" and thus the phrase "Dinner is on Mongo". And boy did I eat dinner. I ate a ton of garlic knots and the best Chicken Cutlet Parm Hero that is out there in the free world...then got sick as a dog.
I really must stop messing with my stomach like this. So not fair to it. Must be torture, making it eat Fiber One Bread and hard boiled eggs one day, then slamming it with greasy balls of dough and deep fried chicken cutlets smothered in melted cheese and stacked on a toasty roll. No wonder I got sick.
I was hoping that by getting sick, I would somehow crossed into Bulimia land unintentionally and lose a lb. But...no such luck. And I'm not trying to turn Bulimia into a joke. I know it's a serious disorder, but all us fatties have those moments, like when we get the flu or stomach virus where we are grateful for hugging the bucket, with our head in it. No?
Anyway, I was upset with myself and depressed...but I decided to look at myself in a different light. Look at the positives. For starters, I am still 19 lbs. less than I was on January 1st. Not much, but definitely in a better spot than I was.
And I'm more active than I was two months ago. This is a good thing.
And I have not had a cigarette in almost a year. This is a GREAT thing.
So, over all...I'm doing all right. People might not see it when they look at me. I'm still over weight and need to drop several mighty pounds, but I am in a healthier spot than I was months ago.
Today is the start of a new month. September 1st. How hard can it be to go 30 days with eating right and walking every day? There are people who do it every day. People who do it for a living or their career depends on how they look.
One month. That's all I'm asking for myself. 30 days. Think it can be done? I know it can be done. The question is...do I have the will power? I had the will power to quit a smoking habit that haunted me since I was 12 years old (yes! 12!! It was the 80's! I wanted to be cool like Ponyboy and Johnny Cade. Shoot me.)
Do I have the will power to say no to most foods? Truth be told, I LOVE FOOD! I mean, I really appreciate it. I appreciate how flavors and textures work together. How creative dishes can be. How taking your time to cook it can get it just right. It's not about eating. It's about the artistic side of food.
Asking me to stop eating the good stuff is like asking Steven Spielberg to stop having anything to do with movies.
But 30 days...that's all I'm asking of myself. Just to see if I can do it. Plus, in 30 days I leave for this Oktoberfest weekend that will be serving up all kinds of good stuff and I just cannot turn away a good bratwurst or knockwurst or anywurst. You just can't make me. It won't work.
So...30 days. That's my challenge to myself. Kind of like AA's motto: one day at a time. I'm going to take it one month at a time.
If I do this...if I make it...then I will re-evaluate my challenge for the month of October (which includes a trip to Orlando and there's NO way in HELL I'm WWIE...especially in Wizarding World of Harry Potter, the whole reason why we are going to begin with.)
30 days. Starting today. Here I go.
(a quick side note...and I posted this in the comments section of www.ramblingsofamoviejunkie.blogspot.com Not sure what is going on and if it is my computer or blogspot, but my posts seem to be coming out all run on and smushed together like one big run on sentence and makes it hard to read. So please bare with me and if you do read this, I thank you from the bottom of my cholesterol filled heart.)

No comments:

Post a Comment